Imagine you’re invited to a weekend brunch or lunch and you need to bring a quick dessert. Something light yet sweet. Enter banana snack cake with a sheet of cream cheese frosting. Within a mere 90 minutes, you can whip up a cake that serves a group of people and makes them beg for more. At least that’s what happened at the brunch I attended.
With a few tweaks after heeding the advice of a few bloggers, I bring you a cake that’s the fantastic middle ground between banana bread and a banana cupcake.
Banana Snack Cake with Light Cream Cheese Frosting
This is an easy way to use up those brown spotted bananas on your counter or those freezer-burned yellow mushy fruits. If you just want a teaser of sweet sugary frosting, follow the recipe as is. If you’re a lover of a thick cream cheese frosting, I recommend you double the frosting recipe. 🙂
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
1 1/3 cup sugar
¼ cup oil
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
4-5 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- In a bowl, mash bananas using a fork or a potato masher.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine sugar, oil and butter. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate. Mix in bananas. Add vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Continue to blend batter together by alternating buttermilk and flour mixture one third at a time.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick test comes out clean. Allow cake to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter on low speed using a handheld electric mixer.
- Add softened cream cheese and continue to mix in.
- Pour in powdered sugar 1/3 cup at a time, beating mixture in between each addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Spread over cake.
Cut cake into square and serve with a tall glass of milk.
Now, time to pull those sugar spotted bananas out of the freezer.